GAPABA VOLUNTEERS WITH AVLF
AFTER GAPABA REGISTRATION,
please also fill out
THE AVLF VOLUNTEER
DATE: Saturday, March 25, 2017
TIME: 8:45 AM for Orientation. Actual Session is 9 am - 12 pm. Coffee, juice and breakfast pastries provided
PLACE: AVLF Office, 235 Peachtree St., NE, Ste. 1750, North Tower, Atlanta, GA 30303,
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD AVLF BROCHURE
QUESTIONS: Contact the GAPABA Community Service Committee Chairs, Andrew Leba and Wellington Tzou, email@example.com
NOTE TO LAW STUDENTS: LIMITED TO ONLY 2 STUDENTS WHO WILL BE PAIRED WITH ATTORNEYS
Volunteer attorneys support the Saturday Lawyer Program in one or more ways:
(1) Volunteer on Saturday morning (9:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.) to interview potential clients in person, assess their claims, and determine which cases, if any, you will accept for full representation. Most volunteers interview one or two clients each Saturday, and never more than three.
(2) Accept Saturday Lawyer Program cases for full representation, including those for which you conducted the initial interview and assessment on Saturday morning.
(3) Consult with AVLF Staff Attorneys and AVLF volunteer attorneys about issues in which you have particular expertise.
Cases accepted through this program focus on:
(1) Securing unpaid wages.
(2) Promoting habitable and safe housing and ensuring return of security deposits.
(3) Resolving other landlord-tenant disputes, such as illegal evictions or damage to tenants’ property caused by landlords.
For forty years, the Saturday Lawyer Program at AVLF has provided low-income Atlantans with access to volunteer attorneys, and volunteer attorneys with a chance to do meaningful pro bono work. Those opportunities continue, with improvements that enhance the experience for all involved.